Man found dead in motorhome at pub suffered severe allergic reaction

Robin Wynne Williams

A man found dead in his motorhome after going for a meal with workmates died following a severe allergic reaction to food, an inquest at in Caernarfon has today (November 14) heard.

A pathologist found that Robin Wynne Williams, 45, had previously had reactions to cheese and jalapeno peppers, died from anaphylactic shock, brought on by severe allergies to food, North Wales Live reports.

Kate Robertson, senior coroner for north west Wales, heard how Robin and his colleagues went to The Bridge pub in Menai Bridge to celebrate with pizza, chips, and drinks on March 2.

After the meal, he walked over the bridge to his motorhome at Antelope Inn, Bangor.

Karen Maurice, his partner, said in a statement that Robin called her shortly before 10pm to say he had large lumps on his legs and his lips were tingly.

She told him to drink lots of water, as this had settled similar symptoms previously.

The next day, she repeatedly rang Robin but her calls went unanswered, as reported earlier on Van Life Matters.

She found Robin slumped in the toilet cubicle with his chin on the basin. She called 999 but paramedics were unable to save him.

Paramedics were called and he was declared dead at the scene at 6.14pm that evening.

Robin had previously had serious reactions to certain foods, the inquest heard.

In August 2018, he collapsed after developing a rash following a Mexican meal in Llangollen. Cheese and chilli were suspected of causing reactions and, after visiting his GP and a professor in Wrexham, Robin was told he had an allergy to chilli.

The contractor thought this was “a load of rubbish”, the inquest heard, as he ate chilli every day.

He was also told to avoid jalapeno peppers.

The coroner noted the professor ordered tests but the professor said he should consider himself allergic, even if the results are “negative”.

Dr Huyam Abdalsalam, a consultant pathologist, conducted a post mortem examination at Ysbyty Glan Clwyd.

The coroner confirmed her finding that the cause of death was anaphylactic shock caused by a food allergy.

It had not been possible to get serum from a sample of blood which can clot quickly after death and which might have identified the cause of the allergy.

Robin’s family believed the risks of food allergies were not presented to Mr Williams in a “meaningful” way.

The coroner said he will write to the GP and Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board about what facilities there are to look into allergic reactions to see if a Prevention of Future Deaths report is appropriate.

Tom Inglis, a construction manager on the Menai Suspension Bridge project in February, said Mr Williams had been knowledgeable and easy to work with.

He had been the “life and soul of the party”.

Don’t forget to subscribe to the Van Life Matters newsletter or download the Van Life Matters App to stay up-to-date with the latest UK Van Life news, tips and advice.

Related articles

Man who felt unwell after eating found dead in motorhome, inquest hears

Mike Ruff

Red tape sees Yorkshire pub reduce overnight campervan parking to just one space

Mike Ruff

Staffordshire pub and campsite up for sale

Mike Ruff

Pub at Windermere Camping and Caravanning Club site reopens

Mike Ruff

Leave a Comment

Van Life Matters