In light of the recent travel chaos holiday makers have been experiencing at airports, there has never been a better time to buckle up and explore Europe’s legendary landscapes by road.
From the windswept wild Atlantic Way in Ireland, to cruising the coasts of Italy and Spain, the guide is full of thrilling driving adventures, experienced by Lonely Planet’s expert writers.
The global travel authority has compiled a one-stop-shop and comprehensive guide of 150 European driving routes, including 50 first-hand accounts and a further 100 recommendations.
With handy fact boxes for each route, vehicle hire information, practical tips and illustrated maps, the perfect accompaniment for travellers wanting to delve into the detail and plan the perfect road trip.
Chris Zeiher, senior director at Lonely Planet said: “For those wanting to avoid the hassle and uncertainty of air travel right now, there has never been a better time to take advantage of the unique freedom that road trips offer.
“In addition to highlighting Europe’s most wondrous journeys, the guide also includes local advice on everything from where to sample delicious regional food and drink to tracing fascinating culture and history, perfect for those wanting a fully immersive travel experience.”
Best road trip routes in Europe
- Mountains of Mallorca, from the hedonist southeast to the solitude of the north.
- Emilia-Romagna culinary circuit, across northern Italy from Parma to Brisighella.
- Underappreciated Albania, up the Adriatic coast from Konispol to Theth.
- Coastal Camino, along the Northern Way across green Spain.
- Route Napoleon, from coastal Golfe-Juan the south of France to Grenoble.
- From Glasgow to Loch Lomond, UK
- Wild Atlantic Way, Ireland, from Inishowen to Kinsale
- Vale de Ewyas, finding solitude in Wales from Skirrid to Hay-on-the-Wye
- Torridon to Diabaig, Shetland and Ullapool to Dunnet in Scotland
- Snake Pass and Hardknott to Wrynose Pass in England
- Coastal Way, Wales
- West coast of Jutland, from Romo to Skagen, Denmark
- Norway’s Lofoten islands
- Magic Circle around Iceland from Reykjavik
- Scandinavia’s Artic north, from Arvidsjaur to Inari
- Slovakia’s Route 59 from Banska Bystrica to Oravsky Podzamok
- Roving from Baltic Estonia to Lithuania
- Transylvania tour of Romania
- Coast & Canyons of Montenegro
Don’t forget to subscribe to the Van Life Matters newsletter to stay up-to-date with the latest UK Van Life news, tips and advice.