The top ten most popular base vans chosen for self-build campervan projects have been revealed by Caravanwise, a specialist in converted campervan insurance.
Data analysis from thousands of insurance quotes since 2018 puts Volkswagen and Ford at joint top place in the vehicle manufacturer table of choice when it comes to campervan conversions.
Caravanwise suggest it’s thanks to the desirability of Volkswagen campervans and perhaps the availability of the Ford Transit vans for conversion.
Additional manufacturers that don’t make the top ten list of popular van conversion base vehicles but are seeing increased popularity include Japanese import MPVs.
Notably, the Mazda Bongo leads in this segment, with Nissan Elgrand and NV200, as well as Toyota Alphard, also enjoying popularity.
Most popular vans for campervan conversion
- Volkswagen (predominantly T4, T5, and Crafter models)
- Ford (with a significant focus on the “Transit”)
- Mercedes (largely Sprinter models)
- Renault (Master and Trafic models)
- Peugeot (Boxer, with a minority comprising the Expert model)
- Citroen (mostly Relay, with a few Dispatch models)
- Vauxhall (Vivaro and Movano models)
- Fiat (primarily Ducato models)
- IVECO (largely the Daily model)
- LDV (Convoy and Maxus models)
As it approaches its 25th anniversary, Caravanwise continues to specialise in caravan insurance, motorhome insurance, and has a strong market presence in self-build converted campervan insurance.