Image default
Motorhomes and campervans

Can I drive a motorhome?

The UK’s recent staycation boom has seen more and more people discover the joys of motorhome ownership and who could blame them?

There are around 225,000 motorhomes in the UK according to the NCC, trade body for the tourer, motorhome, caravan holiday home and park home industries.

To establish if you’re able to drive a motorhome on your current driving licence, you must first work out the vehicle’s weight plus the maximum load it can carry – this is known as the maximum authorised mass (MAM).

To drive a motorhome with a MAM of between 3,500kg and 7,500kg, you need a category C1 licence.

To drive a motorhome with a MAM of over 7,500kg, you need a category C licence.

New UK towing rules: What can I tow?

If you passed your test before 1st January 1997, you will automatically have category C1 entitlement on your licence.

A C1 driving licence covers all but the largest American RV-style motorhomes.

If you passed your test after 1st January 1997 you can only drive a vehicle up to 3,500kg and tow a trailer up to 3,500kg MAM.

Motorhome manufacturers tend to stick within the 3,500kg weight class so that those drivers who passed their test post-1997 can still buy and drive their vehicles.

UK maximum motorhome size

The size of motorhomes is restricted in the UK – it must not be more than 12 metres long and 2.55 metres wide.

The measurements don’t include driving mirrors, rear bumpers, lamps, or reflectors.

There’s no height limit, but if the motorhome is over three metres tall, you must have a notice showing the height where the driver can see it.

Don’t forget to subscribe to the Van Life Matters newsletter to stay up-to-date with the latest UK Van Life news, tips and advice.

Leave a Comment

We all hate pop-ups but Van Life Matters respects your privacy. We use cookies to improve your experience and ensure you get the most relevant content. We assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More